When I first got a planner it was for when I decided to go back to school. That plan backfired when I made too much for financial aide, but too poor to actually afford it out of pocket.
So now I have a planner as a SAHM (stay at home mom) and wondering what to do with it. Then I started thinking about all the things I do as a mom. Such as.
- School activities for my daughters
- Early outs
- Doctor appointments
- School holidays
- Doctor appointments for myself
- Husband traveling schedule
- Household activities
- Personal/self care.
- Grocery shopping
Theres other things that pop up during the week so I knew a planner would help me keep track of these things.
Now this post is similar to my How I Plan post but goes into more detail on what I plan exactly.
Contrary to what you may think being a SAHM is more than sitting down, and binge watching netflix all day. Now don’t get me wrong there are times of the day where I am able to do this, but most days its a reward to myself after all my duties are done.
Staying home and taking care of my daughters is a treat, and I am very grateful, but I still work. I have a house to maintain, meals to cook, errands to run, and still have to find time to get at least 30 minutes of personal time in. Sometimes it doesn’t happen, because that’s life. So how does a SAHM plan her days? I always go from most important to least important.
- Clean what doesn’t get cleaned everyday i.e. pantry, linen closets, organize fridge, organize garage. To me these are most important things because if something needs to go in one of these things its already done
- Weekly trash. We have three trash cans i.e trash, recycle, grass. So I write each of these down in my planner, the day before the trash comes so I remember to set them out.
- Appointments/Errands. We dont have a lot of appointments between the four of us, but if there is one I write this down ASAP so its never forgotten
- Filming/Blog posts. These are important to me but not as important as the first three. If I have more than the weekly spreads, and washi wednesday. I try to spread them out over a couple of days. If a post has photos, I’ll take photos on monday, edit on tuesday, draft on wednesday for a thursday post. This is what works for me, so if it isnt’ broke dont fix it. If there are no photos, like this post then its one day less. For videos, its a little more spread out, since editing a video takes a little longer than editing photos. I may film a video on monday but nit get to editing until wednesday, and will most likely upload that weekend. It just depends on my schedule.
- Self-care/personal. After I have all of this in my planner I look at the least busiest days and schedule some self care. If its a less busier day my self-care/personal activities are done earlier, usually before my husbands gets home, if its busier it gets done in the evening.
- Brain dump – This is usually things I want to do for the next week, which helps me a lot. That way when I go to plan I already have a list overview, then I just break each task into categories and plan from there
And thats it! Thats how I plan as a SAHM. As you can see I don’t have a clock in/out job but I can be pretty busy. I don’t mind staying busy because being productive is always nice, and when you have a system that works then you dont feel busy 🙂